Pie crust is simple to buy in the grocery store, but it tastes so much better when it’s homemade. Better yet, it’s much easier than you think to make it. There are lots of ways to make pie crust, and I’ll share three with you today. There’s a delicious, traditional French butter crust, a Southern one my mom taught me, and a high-fat, low-carb keto pie crust. To get started, you will need a few tools.
- Food processor or mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Parchment paper
- Rolling pin
Once you’ve got your equipment, you need to get your ingredients together to prep for the mixing.
Ingredients for a French Butter Crust
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup half and half or heavy whipping cream
Ingredients for a Southern Pie Crust
- 1 1/3 cups flour sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
Ingredients for Low-Carb Pie Crust
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons of butter softened
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Although the ingredients differ for each crust, the preparation is the same.
- In a food processor or bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the oil or cut the butter in one tablespoon at a time.
- Stop on occasion to scrape down the side of the food processor or bowl with a spatula. Finally add the half and half, milk or heavy cream. Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the French or low-carb crusts into a bowl if needed. knead the dough into a ball.
- Then, press the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll it out with a rolling pin into a circle.
- Remove the top piece of parchment paper and turn out the crust into a pie pan. and gently rearrange the crust so it is centered.
- Use your thumb of one hand and forefingers of your other hand to pinch a triangle-shaped design onto the edge of the crust. Pierce with a fork to remove any air bubbles.
On a side note, the coconut flour crust has a tendency to break apart, but is easy to press back together anywhere needed. If you’re on a low-carb or keto diet, it’s worth the extra effort. You can also add a bit of sweetener to the crusts for desserts, rather than savory dishes. Add your fillings and bake! Let me know how you like it.
Keto Crust Nutritional Information per Serving